The WoW or Gold Brainstormz Podcast Index

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Arena experiences during Mists

Do what's in your heart.
And go all in under the circumstances you're in.
As i've said on Twitter; Being hardcore is a lifestyle and as such it requires making hard decisions and being brutally self critical and honest.

When all is said and done for an expansion I dig deeper into other sides of the game. In the past it has involved alot of future expansion speculation, especially with gold making in mind, which over time, has led to a massive amount of bad decisions, 8+ guild banks filled with garbage and alot of wasted gold (i'll dig deeper into this in a later post about professions and materials @ WoD). The end of an expansion has also meant that i've been able to PvP alot because it has been the last season. It's also at that time the best possible honor gear is up for grabs.  


Arena and admitting limitations
This time around I didn't play the same way i usually do. I raided and did PvP back to back, depending on how much time I could commit to raiding. I did arena using OQueue and had some really fun stuff going on there til I reached the point where i'd want to chat and to play with one partner; Something that has kept on occurring when i've done arena and reached a point where it's hard to win without communication/higher experience. 

When I reach that point my options are few but very important; 
  • Do I keep on although it isn't going to lead anywhere any time soon? Especially when i'm pugging arenas and don't want to be carried? I really hate getting boosted (unless I RAF myself) in any kind of way because it takes away my ability to be an active part of what's happening. This is something that many in the Western world just can't comprehend since getting things "for free" is the gospel.
  • Do I admit defeat for the time being and try coming up with a counter plan the next time I do arena? 
In such a scenario I choose the latter. Every time. It's like i've hit the cap for the time investment that i've been able to commit (limited due to other goals) and unless I want to fool myself or begin pushing arena ratings seriously there's no point going on.

Sure, I could keep on doing matches for the experience and keep on learning, something which I genuinely think is important in all parts of life, but without a goal and sub goals that move me in the direction of that goal I won't have an easy time "wasting time" doing a non-goal oriented task. It's not a waste of time in and of itself though. It becomes a waste of time simply because I have other goals that I should focus on and prioritize instead. Especially when I know that the chances of reaching my arena goals are greatly limited by circumstances that I can't change. 

"But that sounds like you give up just because something is hard". Yes, it does. Me being me, I don't mind a good challenge when I can put my heart into it, but if there's a challenge (gaming wise, since challenges in life are a constant) and it doesn't have me hooked by the bawlz, i'd rather commit to other challenges. I'm repeating myself.  

Do what's in your heart.
And go all in under the circumstances you're in.
As i've said on Twitter; Being hardcore is a lifestyle and as such it requires making hard decisions and being brutally self critical and honest.


No comments:

Post a Comment