The reasons that i'm posting it now are:
- I killed Poseidus for the second time on New years eve 2012.
- It shows bits of my thought process during the craziest rare hunting phase that i've been through to date.
- Lastly because I won't delete this post anyway.
So let's get it on, shall we? After the break...
My Poseidus farming/camping Strategy
- I began searching with my level 85 that had done the Vashj'ir quest chain while leveling. The good thing with the sea horse mount is the extra underwater speed, which is crucial. I added 1-2 characters and later on I had all six of my 80+ toons in Vashj'ir. I rotated those 6 depending on which markets I was into on the Auction House.
- If I needed to move more than 1 toon from Vashj'ir I made sure that I kept at least 3 toons at Poseidus's spawn points. I logged in and out every now and then. At times i'd idle and go afk, other times I would roam the area looking for other rares. It's faster logging in and out than roaming all four spawn points. In Shimmering Expanse you can probably roam two spawn points faster than logging in and out, depending on amount of addons you use, but I like having my toons posted. It saved me time in the long run, especially since I stopped herbing and mining and just hunted the rares. The biggest reason for me to leave spawn points was to restock for the Auction House and to do the daily transmutes (Volatile Airs unless Truegold was at a good price). Later on I skipped the transmutes altogether because having a few extra 1000's here or there wouldn't make a big enough difference when it came to the quest to reach the 1 million mark.
- I'd rather relog a few times than have a toon online at one spot for hours. By diversifying I was hoping that the law of averages would increase my chance/luck. The first time I killed Poseidus he/she/it/theugly spawned next to my Priest. It was a random log in and I was doing my login rotation. Poseidus spawned within 3 minutes of logging because I remember NPCscan not going off instantly.
- I take breaks from Poseidus when I look for other rares and finding them is always a nice feeling. It's actually that part that makes the farming so interesting; There are plenty of soloable rares in Vashj'ir.
- I can farm herbs, ore or leather depending on which professions my toons have.